Baltimore Family Data Jam
A Fun Family Competition with Monetary Prizes!
Families are invited to participate in this year’s Baltimore Data Jam Competition. We have modified the competition requirements to appeal to the entire family. Children of all ages are welcome to participate with an adult or adults in their household. Family Data Jam encourages team work, learning about your community, and engaging in creativity, all in the safety and comfort of your own home. We are currently scheduling webinars during the month of April to assist families who wish to participate. For more details, check back here frequently or contact Bess Caplan at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on our email list. In the meantime, read through the Family Data Jam Competition Judging Rubric below to learn about the requirements for your project. You can also begin browsing our Data Jam Data Sets or looking for your own data set. Remember, the data set you choose must be about the Baltimore or the greater Baltimore region, must be an ecological or socio-ecological data set, and most importantly, should be on a topic your family finds interesting.
Steps to Participate:
- Browse the Data Jam Data Sets or select an ecological or socio-ecological data set of your own. Data sets must be about the Greater Baltimore region (think Central Maryland).
- Register your team by May 20, 2020 using the registration link above.
- View one of the past Getting Started webinars
- Decide how you want to analyze your data. What story can your data tell?
- Create a graph and write a summary of the trend in your data.
- Get your creative juices flowing! Decide on a creative way to communicate the trend in your data. This could be a song, video, physical model, painting or drawing, poem, comic strip, or anything else your family wants to create. Make sure the creative piece directly addresses the trend in your data.
- Submit your graph, description of your data trend, and creative component online (submission details coming soon!).
Projects Due May 27, 2020
Winners Announced June 19, 2020