Studying the Urbanizing World.
Urban Ecology to Improve Cities.
- Livability, including psychological benefits and human comfort,
- Ecological functions as sources of ecosystem services,
- The intimate feedbacks among natural and human aspects of cities,
- Equity in the free ecological work available to social groups and classes,
- Contribution to sustainability and resilience, and
- Knowledge to support urban design and planning.
Urban Ecology Improves Ecological Science
- Discover new combinations or levels of environmental factors in cities,
- Bring insights and methods of other disciplines into ecology,
- Promote interdisciplinarity and study of social-ecological systems,
- Improve ecological theory by extending it to a new kind of system,
- Test existing theories in a new environments, and
- Link ecology better with design, planning, and engineering professions
|Downtown Louisville, KY viewed across the Ohio River from Southern Indiana.|