Watershed are urban features
|Watersheds in Baltimore|
What do watersheds do?
Urban watersheds are mostly invisible now
|Baltimore City streams in 1943 (left) and 1999 (right)|
Urban watersheds are constantly modified
Regaining awareness of urban watersheds
What does knowledge contribute to urban watersheds?
|Nitrate pollution over time in Gwynns Falls, Baltimore|
How can urban watersheds be reconnected?
What can cities, organizations, and communities do?
|Connecting neighborhoods with the Gwynns Falls.|
Box 1: Some Practical Actions for Learning About Urban Watersheds
- Map streams, pipes, and boundaries of urban watersheds.
- Map loss of original streams.
- Conduct tours along watershed length.
- Collect data on water flow and quality.
- Interpret and share watershed data with residents and decision makers.
- Focus on new designs and retrofits that slow the flow of water in urban watersheds.
- Engage residents in re-envisioning their watersheds.
- Assemble “then and now” photos and drawings of watersheds and streams.
- Promote science and art interactions focused on watersheds.
- Install are in the watersheds and along streams.
- Produce informational markers about urban watersheds.
- Involve residents in observations of streams and watersheds over seasons and years.